Report: GoDaddy Boycott Fizzling Out

December 30, 2011 -

TechDirt reports that the boycott of GoDaddy over its support for SOPA may be fizzling out. Pointing to data from DailyChanges, TechDirt says that the domain name and hosting service actually gained more customers than it lost. According to this graphic, GoDaddy saw a net gain of 20,748 new domains registered (43,304 new registrations versus 35,907 deletions) yesterday.

While proponents of the anti-piracy bill might look to this as a victory for GoDaddy, it's hard to say if the company could continue to sustain its registration numbers if the boycott continues much longer, and opponents of the bill have accomplished one important thing: they have forced GoDaddy to strongly and publicly retract its support for the bill.

Inevitably the Internet community has to decide what the goal of a boycott is: do they want companies to change their positions on SOPA or take a scorched earth position?

Either way, we will continue to follow this story to whatever conclusion it may come to.

Source: TechDirt

Comments

Re: Report: GoDaddy Boycott Fizzling Out

The fact remains that GoDaddy lost tens of thousands, if not more than 100,000, domains during this time.

And it was certainly enough of an impact to get them to back off SOPA to a degree.

What I haven't seen a figure on is how many hosting-only accounts they lost - and I'm among those who switched to somebody else for hosting.

Re: Report: GoDaddy Boycott Fizzling Out

Proof that tits are more powerful than ideals.  Oh well.

Re: Report: GoDaddy Boycott Fizzling Out

Didn't they say they were withdrawing support but not actually do it? Or did they later actually withdraw support?

Re: Report: GoDaddy Boycott Fizzling Out

So... 43,304 new - 35,907 deleted = 20,748 net gain?  Man, I suck at this new math.

Re: Report: GoDaddy Boycott Fizzling Out

That final tally includes transfers in and out.

Re: Report: GoDaddy Boycott Fizzling Out

Ah.  Yeah, I didn't click through the linked source when I made my earlier comment.  Still, that info should probably be in the article, because as it stands, it seems to be an obvious error.

Re: Report: GoDaddy Boycott Fizzling Out

Well, so much for that idea. sad

I'd still urge boycotting any and all companies who'd support this bill.  I'd boycott Marvel myself, but I've been doing that really since they published "One More Day!"

james_fudgeI'm a huge Dark Souls fan :)09/16/2014 - 1:13pm
james_fudgeThe first part of Dark Souls is pretty easy.09/16/2014 - 1:13pm
Neeneko@AE - it is still better then Return of Kings. I wonder if they know each other...09/16/2014 - 1:05pm
Neeneko@IanC - well, considering their entire goal is disseminating information, it kinda makes sense.09/16/2014 - 1:04pm
Andrew EisenThat depends on how much longer before YOU start getting good!09/16/2014 - 12:31pm
MaskedPixelanteSo, I've been stuck in the opening section of Dark Souls for about two years now... how much longer before it starts getting good?09/16/2014 - 12:29pm
Michael ChandraI was wondering the same thing while reading it.09/16/2014 - 11:44am
james_fudgeSadly, no.09/16/2014 - 11:17am
Andrew EisenThat's a satire site, like the Onion, right? Please? Please tell me that's a satire site?09/16/2014 - 11:10am
james_fudgehis readers are.09/16/2014 - 10:36am
IanCWikileaks will jump on any agenda for publicity.09/16/2014 - 10:22am
NeenekoWow. This is the first I have heard of the guy. What a jerk.09/16/2014 - 10:14am
quiknkoldmaskedpixelante : Milo Yiannopolous isnt really old.09/16/2014 - 9:57am
MaskedPixelanteBreitbart in a nutshell: Racist old white men saying stupid things.09/16/2014 - 9:54am
james_fudgequiknkold, that's bile. Read the comments and you'll get a taste of that site's audience.09/16/2014 - 9:17am
ZippyDSMleeSo gamer gate will be know as the time all the 13 year old sexist racists assholes came out of the wood work and attacked anything with more brains than themsevles. 0_o09/16/2014 - 9:09am
E. Zachary KnightAwwwww. I feel so special. I have someone on Twitter shaming me for being anti-gamergate.09/16/2014 - 9:06am
quiknkoldhttp://www.breitbart.com/big-hollywood/2014/09/15/the-gamergate-movement-is-making-terrific-progress-don-t-stop-now09/16/2014 - 8:54am
james_fudgeme either.09/16/2014 - 8:54am
E. Zachary KnightI understand what Wikileaks twitter was getting at, but I have no clue what that article was getting at.09/16/2014 - 8:45am