Report: GoDaddy Boycott Fizzling Out

December 30, 2011 -

TechDirt reports that the boycott of GoDaddy over its support for SOPA may be fizzling out. Pointing to data from DailyChanges, TechDirt says that the domain name and hosting service actually gained more customers than it lost. According to this graphic, GoDaddy saw a net gain of 20,748 new domains registered (43,304 new registrations versus 35,907 deletions) yesterday.

While proponents of the anti-piracy bill might look to this as a victory for GoDaddy, it's hard to say if the company could continue to sustain its registration numbers if the boycott continues much longer, and opponents of the bill have accomplished one important thing: they have forced GoDaddy to strongly and publicly retract its support for the bill.

Inevitably the Internet community has to decide what the goal of a boycott is: do they want companies to change their positions on SOPA or take a scorched earth position?

Either way, we will continue to follow this story to whatever conclusion it may come to.

Source: TechDirt

Comments

Re: Report: GoDaddy Boycott Fizzling Out

The fact remains that GoDaddy lost tens of thousands, if not more than 100,000, domains during this time.

And it was certainly enough of an impact to get them to back off SOPA to a degree.

What I haven't seen a figure on is how many hosting-only accounts they lost - and I'm among those who switched to somebody else for hosting.

Re: Report: GoDaddy Boycott Fizzling Out

Proof that tits are more powerful than ideals.  Oh well.

Re: Report: GoDaddy Boycott Fizzling Out

Didn't they say they were withdrawing support but not actually do it? Or did they later actually withdraw support?

Re: Report: GoDaddy Boycott Fizzling Out

So... 43,304 new - 35,907 deleted = 20,748 net gain?  Man, I suck at this new math.

Re: Report: GoDaddy Boycott Fizzling Out

That final tally includes transfers in and out.

Re: Report: GoDaddy Boycott Fizzling Out

Ah.  Yeah, I didn't click through the linked source when I made my earlier comment.  Still, that info should probably be in the article, because as it stands, it seems to be an obvious error.

Re: Report: GoDaddy Boycott Fizzling Out

Well, so much for that idea. sad

I'd still urge boycotting any and all companies who'd support this bill.  I'd boycott Marvel myself, but I've been doing that really since they published "One More Day!"

Poll

Which video game platform are you most thankful for?:

WonderkarpAny of you guys watch Game Grumps? They have an episode detailing alot of the bugs in the hilariously bad Sonic Boom https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3Jb3A0HLe4&list=UU9CuvdOVfMPvKCiwdGKL3cQ11/26/2014 - 4:19pm
Andrew EisenI'm blanking. What's MMS?11/26/2014 - 4:16pm
james_fudgeI keep an eye on it for really good deals11/26/2014 - 4:00pm
MaskedPixelanteEhh, MSS is only half off, I can wait for it to go under 1011/26/2014 - 3:48pm
NeenekoWhich is why I completely ignore the site.11/26/2014 - 3:15pm
james_fudgeAHHH Someone bar the door and keep the kids away from the credit cards!11/26/2014 - 3:14pm
Neo_DrKefkaThe Ralph Retort is a toxic mess and the guy is literally building his career on the back of the GamerGate movement. Whether you believe GamerGate is right or wrong this is a man profiteering on this war.11/26/2014 - 2:56pm
WonderkarpTHE STEAM SALES HAVE BEGUN!11/26/2014 - 2:16pm
MaskedPixelanteUnless you have said DLC already, then you can get the equally broken FarCry 4.11/26/2014 - 2:15pm
WonderkarpI love Boogie. He's awesome.11/26/2014 - 2:02pm
PHX Corphttp://kotaku.com/ubisoft-apologizes-for-assassins-creed-unity-with-free-1663768202 [Sarcasm]Ubisoft Apologizes for making a broken game, gives out free dlc for said broken game[/sarcasm]11/26/2014 - 1:53pm
Andrew EisenIt's a cute joke to make but it’s important to note that the person's view is not gendered. It's not about not supporting a female dev, it's about not supporting GamerGate. Gender is irrelevant in this case.11/26/2014 - 1:10pm
Neo_DrKefkaToo add what Andrew said about the The Ralph Retort it is no different from what you read at Gawker. I remember reading The Ralph Retort on how Boogie was the bad guy from being on the fence until he jumped to the GamerGate side.11/26/2014 - 12:42pm
Wonderkarpthat, I do not know the answer too. I see some people saying they wont vote for her because of it. I'm pointing out the irony.11/26/2014 - 12:31pm
Andrew EisenIs this call to not vote for her game widespread or is it just the one tweet from the one guy?11/26/2014 - 12:19pm
Wonderkarphttps://twitter.com/GMShivers here's her twitter if you wanna look. I didnt see any harassment. 11/26/2014 - 12:07pm
Andrew EisenI'm just curious what kind of GamerGater the dev is. Does she harass people? If so, I could understand the desire not to support her. "Very Pro-GG" doesn't tell me anything.11/26/2014 - 12:05pm
NeenekoWhile boycotts have their place, small ones like that just hurt small producers for no real gain. It is just being petty.11/26/2014 - 12:02pm
WonderkarpI'm addicted too their deals :P When I find an alternative, I'll drop Kotaku :P. you Tease cause you care though :)11/26/2014 - 11:57am
Andrew EisenWarning, light teasing incoming. Ahem. So, not only could you not go a full four hours without reading The Ralph Retort, but you read Kotaku? A site you say you're actively trying to convince others to stay away from? Wow!11/26/2014 - 11:56am