Bioshock Movie Loses Second Director

March 23, 2012 -

The film adaptation of 2K Games' first-person shooter BioShock has lost director Juan Carlos Fresnadillo, according to a GameSpot report.

"To be honest, by now, I'm completely out of that, and developing other stuff," Fresnadillo told the site at a press junket for his new film Intruders. "Right now it’s on hold. The studio and the video game company, they have to reach some kind of agreement about the budget and the rating."

Fresnadillo (28 Weeks Later, Intact) took on the role as the BioShock director after Pirates of the Caribbean director Gore Verbinski moved to a producer role. The film adaption was announced in 2008, with Verbinski named as director. Production was halted the following year over concerns that the project's budget hitting $160 million. Verbinski said last year that the BioShock movie's budget would only be approved for a PG-13 take on the material. It was a compromise that he said was unacceptable.

Last November creator Ken Levine said that a BioShock movie needed to give seasoned fans familiar elements and those unfamiliar with the game franchise and idea of what it was all about.

For now the film seems to be stuck in limbo.

Posted in

Comments

Re: Bioshock Movie Loses Second Director

I have an Alex Jones level conspiracy theory that the movie industry hates the game industry as a rival and thus makes movies of video games so bad that it harms the road to the mainstream accepting Video Games as an art form. Either that or the people in the movie industry are just flat out stupid. One of those two has to explain the super mario brothers movie.

Re: Bioshock Movie Loses Second Director

Giving what they seem to think computers can do, it seems to be the latter.

Re: Bioshock Movie Loses Second Director

Actually, Juan Carlos Fresnadillo directed 28 Weeks Later.  Not 28 Days.  Just wanted to point that out.

Anyway, there's probably never going to be a Bioshock movie.  The only way it would be able to retain the tone and impact of the game would be if they went for a hard R rating.  But because to the studios, this is seen as an unproven property, they're too chickenshit to do it.  Same reason why Guilllermo Del Toro's having such a hard time getting his dream project adaptation of Lovecraft's At The Mountains of Madness off the ground.  Never mind that it's been shown that R-rated movies can and do make money (The Matrix, 300, etc.) but it seems studio execs' memories are notoriously short.

Hopefully if Prometheus gets an R rating and makes tons of money (which it probably will), this will be the game changer that will show Hollywood that it's safe to make a major R-rated movie once more.  It seems that one of the legacies of Columbine is that ever since, movie studios were afraid to make R rated movies out of fear they'd be accused of marketing them to children, which to my knowledge was never conclusively proven.  And IMO, it's long past time that they abandoned that way of thinking.

 
Forgot your password?
Username :
Password :
 

Be Heard - Contact Your Politician