The Independent Games Festival (IGF) opened submissions for the 2014 Independent Games Festival, taking place at the Game Developers Conference in San Francisco. The deadline for the Main awards is October 19th, while the Student Showcase is October 31st. Finalists will be announced in January 2014. From there, finalist games will make their way to San Francisco to show off the latest builds at the IGF Pavilion on the Game Developers Conference 2014 ExpoFloor, to compete for nearly $60,000 in prizes.
Categories for this year's awards include the Excellence in Visual Art, Audio, Design, and Narrative Awards - which will have an expanded amount of six finalists each, with the winner getting $3,000 in each category. There will also be an expanded six finalists for the $30,000 Seumas McNally Grand Prize.
The Best Student Game award will also return, with eight finalists ($3,000 prize), and the special NuovoAward ($5,000, eight finalists) which honors "abstract, shortform, and unconventional’ games." Finally, the IGF Audience Award ($3,000) will be decided by a public vote from all of the Main Competition finalists.
Winners will be announced on stage at the Games Festival Awards on Wednesday, March 19, 2014, at the Moscone Center in San Francisco, with the IGF Pavilion open from March 19-21, and the sister Independent Games Summit event taking place on March 17 and 18.
Important deadlines and dates for IGF 2014 can be found below:
- August 8, 2013 - Submissions are Open
- October 19, 2013 - Submission Deadline, Main Competition
- October 31, 2013 - Submission Deadline, Student Competition
- January 7, 2014 - Finalists Announced, Main Competition
- January 13, 2014 - Finalists Announced, Student Competition
- March 17 - March 21, 2014 - Game Developers Conference 2014
- March 17 - March 18, 2014 - Independent Games Summit @ GDC 2014
- March 19 - March 21, 2014 - IGF Pavilion @ GDC 2014
- March 19, 2014 - IGF Awards Ceremony (Winners Announced!)
For more information on IGF, visit www.igf.com