SoftBank, GungHo Take Controlling Interest in Supercell

October 15, 2013 - GamePolitics Staff

Softbank and GungHo Online are making a substantial investment in Finnish free-to-play and mobile gaming juggernaut Supercell. The company is selling a 51 percent stake for $1.53 billion to Japan’s SoftBank and game developer GungHo Online Entertainment. The strategic investment will make Supercell a subsidiary of Softbank, with the funds being used to fuel Supercell’s global expansion.

Under the terms of the deal, GungHo will invest 20 percent of the $1.53 billion, with SoftBank bankrolling the remaining 80 percent. SoftBank and GungHo will also jointly establish a company in Finland “by indirectly investing US$1,224 million (investment ratio: 80%) and $306 million (investment ratio: 20%), respectively." That company will hold 51 percent of the shares in Supercell’s voting stock on a fully-diluted basis for a total $1.53 billion."

Supercell will become a subsidiary of SoftBank, but it will continue to operate independently from its headquarters in Helsinki, Finland, with co-founder Ilkka Paananen remaining CEO.

Supercell owns and operates Clash of Clans and Hay Day.

TechCrunch has the scoop and the details on the deal here.

Source: TechCrunch


 
Forgot your password?
Username :
Password :

Poll

Will we ever get Half-Life 3?:
 

Be Heard - Contact Your Politician