South Park Co-Creator Not Happy About European Censorship of 'The Stick of Truth'

March 7, 2014 - GamePolitics Staff

South Park co-creator Matt Stone is pretty upset that the European release of the game he helped create with Obsidian Studios, South Park: The Stick of Truth, was censored. In an interview with Metro, Stone expressed his frustration with the removal of seven scenes from the European release that involved abortion and anal probing.

The North American version remained uncut, but apparently Ubisoft decided to censor the European version of the game for what it called "marketing reasons." The censorship of these scenes were not at the behest of the PEGI, the ratings authority that handles games classification in the UK and Europe. A spokesperson for the agency said earlier in the week that it gave the game the standard R18+ rating, which included the deleted scenes just like the North American release.

"We weren't going to change the content, so we've written little cards to explain what is going on, what they've censored, and made a joke out of it," Stone told Metro. "We're talking about 30 or 40 seconds out of the whole experience but we wanted people to know exactly where the line was: this is what you couldn't see but for some reason the rest of the world could and we have no idea why. It's not cool - it's lame, ridiculous and stupid."

Meanwhile, the game has been delayed in Germany and Austria due to what the governments in those countries call "unconstitutional" symbols, referring to swastikas that appear in the game.

Source: Metro

Posted in

 
Forgot your password?
Username :
Password :

Poll

Who's responsible for crappy Netflix performance on Verizon?:
 

Be Heard - Contact Your Politician