No 'Monster Hunter 4' for Wii U, Says Capcom

September 15, 2014 - GamePolitics Staff

Despite some early rumors making claims that it was happening, Monster Hunter 4 is not coming to the Wii U, according to a VG247 report.

"It's a misprint," said Capcom community rep. Yuri Arauj. "We’re working on a proper message to diffuse this, so we should have something more public and official out soon."

Posted in
7 comments | Read more

Capcom Ditching GFWL Support in Three More Games

September 9, 2014 - GamePolitics Staff

Capcom is ditching Games For Window Live in three more games - Dead Rising 2, Dead Rising 2: Off the Record, and Resident Evil 5 - but the exact timeframe for when these titles will make the full transition to Steamworks is to be determined.

1 comment | Read more

Poll: How Many Typos Are In Phoenix Wright: Dual Destinies?

September 3, 2014 - Andrew Eisen

This week's poll asked if the New Nintendo 3DS would be region free.  Nintendo answered that for us this morning when it confirmed that it would indeed continue the archaic practice of region locking its gaming hardware.

Oh well.

I guess we need a new poll but it's a bit late in the week so how about something goofy?

6 comments | Read more

Capcom Sues Koei Tecmo For Patent Infringement

August 26, 2014 - GamePolitics Staff

Capcom is suing fellow Japanese developer and publisher Koei Tecmo for allegedly infringing on a number of its patents, according to a Sankei report translated by Siliconera. The patents relate to letting players in a new game import or unlock content from an older title and the use of a controller vibration to alert players of nearby enemies.

13 comments | Read more

Street Fighter IV Producer Resigns

June 16, 2014 - GamePolitics Staff

Street Fighter IV and series producer Yoshinori Ono announced today that he is resigning from his director position at Capcom Vancouver. Ono announced via Twitter that he was leaving his position and thanked the staff working on the Dead Rising series and Capcom Vancouver in general:

"I resigned from the director position about [sic] CAPCOM Vancouver. Thanks good staff of CAPCOM Vancouver, and Dead Rising staff!"

2 comments | Read more

Capcom Shareholders Reject 'Takeover Defense Plan'

June 16, 2014 - GamePolitics Staff

Capcom shareholders have rejected a plan that would have stopped someone from presenting an unsolicited acquisition bid. At the company's annual meeting today, shareholders opted not to renew a "takeover defense plan" that had been in place since 2008, and had been renewed every two years since.

2 comments | Read more

Capcom Spending $79 Million on New R&D Facilities

April 14, 2014 - GamePolitics Staff

Capcom announced that it is building two new research and development facilities in Osaka, Japan. The cost of these new facilities is estimated at around eight billion yen, or $79 million. Construction of the first building (R&D Building S) began in May of 2013 and is expected to be completed by January 2015 at a cost of 2.5 billion yen, or $24.6 million. Construction on the second building (R&D Building N) began this month and is expected to be completed in February 2016 at a cost of 5.5 billion yen, or $54.1 million.

3 comments | Read more

Capcom Addresses Lack of Gender Choices in 'Deep Down'

February 19, 2014 - GamePolitics Staff

Capcom has addressed concerns that it offers no options for a female lead character in its upcoming hardcore RPG game, Deep Down. Producer Kazunori Sugiura addressed the issue and explained that an earlier report that there were "12 main characters in Deep Down, all of them male" was incorrect.

2 comments | Read more

Capcom 'Shocked' About Onimusha Composer's Admissions

February 13, 2014 - GamePolitics Staff

Capcom says that it was "surprised" to hear that Resident Evil: Director's Cut and Onimusha composer Mamoru Samuragochi hired someone else to compose his works and that he may not be deaf. But even as Capcom makes this statement insiders are telling one Japanese publication that it was common knowledge within the company that Mamoru Samuragochi could hear. The 50-year-old composer had claimed he lost all hearing in both ears at age 35.

| Read more

Report: Resident Evil Composer Might Not Be Deaf, Says Ghost Composer

February 6, 2014 - GamePolitics Staff

Yesterday we reported that Resident Evil and Onimusha composer Mamoru Samuragochi admitted that he hired someone else to create the compositions he took credit for. Today we learn who composed those works and that Samuragochi may not be deaf after all.

| Read more

Resident Evil and Onimusha Composer Admits He is a Fraud, Took Credit for Someone Else's Work

February 5, 2014 - GamePolitics Staff

Mamoru Samuragochi, who is credited with composing the soundtracks for various Resident Evil and Onimusha games, now says that he took credit for work that he didn't actually create. Samuragochi, who is deaf, recently admitted that someone else has been writing his music for almost two decades, IGN reports (thanks Andrew Eisen for the tip).

| Read more

Capcom Kills Ghost 'N Goblins Demon World Kickstarter Campaign

December 13, 2013 - GamePolitics Staff

Capcom has put the brakes on a Kickstarter crowd funding campaign for an unlicensed Ghost 'N Goblins game. Phantasm Studios' campaign is now the subject of an intellectual property dispute initiated by Capcom, and has been shutdown. The Kickstarter page for the campaign now features a DMCA notice from Capcom.

3 comments | Read more

Mega Man Board Game Kickstarter Launches, Gets Fully Funded

December 13, 2013 - GamePolitics Staff

After only a day of being live, a Kickstarter campaign for a Mega Man Board game has managed to get fully funded. The board game, which secured an official license from Capcom, has raised $167,796 from 1,369 backers - well over its initial goal of $70,000. The campaign has 37 more days left, so expect a lot of stretch goals to be added.

Texas-based board game company Jasco Games initially ran the Kickstarter to make the board game a lot better:

4 comments | Read more

Monster Hunter Series Hits 28 Million Units Sold Milestone

December 4, 2013 - GamePolitics Staff

Capcom announced that the latest title in its Monster Hunter series has helped push the franchise to 28 million units sold to date. In October, Capcom said that the franchise had sold 26 million units total. It also revealed that the latest game in the series - Monster Hunter 4 - had sold four million copies since its release in September. The 3DS game has only been released in Japan. That four million figure included sales of the downloadable version and is up from the three million figure announced in October.

| Read more

Capcom: Dead Rising 3 Will Sell over 1.2 Million Copies

November 1, 2013 - GamePolitics Staff

Capcom predicts that its next game in its third-person zombie apocalypse series, Dead Rising 3, will sell over 1.2 million copies on Xbox One. This prediction on sales of the Xbox One exclusive was part of a financial document for the first half of the financial year ending March 31, 2014. While Capcom might be excited about that number, it's a lot lower than the original game for Xbox 360, which sold 1.8 million copies. The multi-platform sequel did much better with 2.8 million units sold.

4 comments | Read more

Poll Results: Will Capcom Sue Mighty No. 9 Devs for IP Infringement?

October 8, 2013 - GamePolitics Staff

Last week we asked readers, "Will Capcom sue the Mighty No. 9 devs for infringement of its Mega Man IP?" While there was no clear majority opinion, around 35 percent of the 301 votes cast concluded that Capcom will ignore the game altogether.

3 comments | Read more

Report: Capcom Cutting Nearly Half of European Work Force

October 3, 2013 - GamePolitics Staff

According to several published reports - including one over at CVG, Capcom will slash nearly half of its employees in Europe as part of a continental-wide restructuring plan.

| Read more

Poll: Will Capcom Sue the Mighty No. 9 Devs For Infringement Of Its Mega Man IP?

October 2, 2013 - Andrew Eisen

Last month, developer Comcept launched a Kickstarter for Mighty No. 9, a new video game that is counting on your love of Mega Man for its success.

Seriously, almost every sentence of the project's pitch name drops the Blue Bomber.

"Classic Japanese side-scrolling action, evolved and transformed by Keiji Inafune, an all-star team of veteran Mega Man devs..." (Note: Inafune is the character designer/producer behind most of the Mega Man games.  He left Capcom in 2010)

14 comments | Read more

Capcom Predicts Severe Contraction in Packaged Goods Market

September 10, 2013 - GamePolitics Staff

A new report from Capcom predicts that the traditional physical goods market will shrink by $5.3 billion by the time 2017 rolls around. This has prompted the Japanese-based publisher and developer to commit to more investments in DLC going forward.

1 comment | Read more

Universal Orlando Resorts Adds Resident Evil to Halloween Horror Nights 23 Event

August 29, 2013 - GamePolitics Staff

Universal Orlando Resort in Orlando, Florida will be adding a video game-themed attraction to celebrate Halloween this year: Resident Evil. The survival horror video game series Resident Evil from Capcom will become a haunted house at Halloween Horror Nights 23 at the amusement park. Other attractions for Halloween Horror Nights 23 include The Walking Dead, Evil Dead, An American Werewolf in London, and Cabin in the Woods.

| Read more

Capcom Donations Helps Operation Supply Drop Reach $300K Milestone

June 7, 2013 -

Organizers of the game-related charity Operation Supply Drop say that its Veterans Day event in November 2012 set the bar extremely high. The charity that sends packages that include games, video game systems, and accessories, received $100,000 in donations for deployed soldiers and soldiers recovering in military hospitals. A lot of the success of the charity drive can be attributed to the generous donations from companies like Capcom.

| Read more

Capcom UK Cancels Bloody Pool Event in Light of Woolwich Attack

May 23, 2013 -

Earlier this month we told you about a Capcom UK PR event to promote Resident Evil: Revelations in London. The event, which would let visitors swim in a pool filled with simulated blood, gore, and body parts (and featured zombies as lifeguards), was scheduled for this weekend.

5 comments | Read more

Capcom Fills Pool with Blood and Gore to Promote Resident Evil Revelations

May 11, 2013 -

In one of the most bizarre stories we've heard this week, Capcom's UK Marketing department will fill a swimming pool full of blood, gore and other body parts to promote the release of its next Resident Evil game in London.

The "first ever blood filled swimming pool" can hold about 55,000 gallons of water and will feature (fake, of course) human torsos as floatation devices, intestines as lane markers, and all kinds of gruesome objects floating in the water including bloody bandages, eyeballs, tendrils and blood clots. Zombie lifeguards will also be on hand...

12 comments | Read more

Capcom Revises FY Forecast Due to 'Special Loss' from Game Cancelations

April 18, 2013 -

Capcom is blaming development projects overseas for a revised financial forecast that takes into account a special loss due to game cancellations. The company said today that it will take a $73 million hit from cancelling various projects. The company also said that it will be making more of its games in-house due to a "drop in quality" from outsourcing projects to Western studios...

2 comments | Read more

EA Tops Metacritic's 2012 Publisher Rankings

February 6, 2013 -

Entertainment reviews aggregation site Metacritic has published its 2012 publisher rankings, ranking Electronic Arts at the top of the list, followed by Microsoft, Sony, Nintendo, and Capcom. The rankings use each publisher's game scores to determine the order.

EA was helped by Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning and Mass Effect; Microsoft came in second with the help of Mark of the Ninja; followed by Sony with Journey; Nintendo with Xenoblade Chronicles for Wii; and Capcom with Okami HD and Dragon's Dogma - both for PS3.

1 comment | Read more

Capcom Supports Fan-Made Street Fighter X Mega Man, Gives it Away for Free Dec. 17

December 11, 2012 -

We often like to point out when companies crush fan-made projects under a barrage of cease-and-desist letters and threats of punitive court actions, but Capcom has taken a different and positive tact for the fan-made mash-up game Street Fighter X Mega Man. The game pits the Blue Bomber against the stars of the popular Street Fighter series of fighting games, and as Mega Man beats the snot out of the likes of Blanka, Ryu, and Rose, he gains their special powers to use against other folks in the Street Fighter universe.

| Read more

Capcom Can No Longer Make New Tatsunoko Games

November 8, 2012 -

Sad news for Capcom vs Tatsunoko fans. Capcom no longer holds the rights to publish games using the Tatsunoko properties. In response to a forum post about playing the game on the Wii U, Christian Svensson, Corporate Officer/Senior Vice-President, stated that Capcom won't be making any more.

Posted in
| Read more

Cliff Bleszinski to Capcom: 'We Can Fix Resident Evil 6'

October 29, 2012 -

Former Gears of War designer and Epic Games design director Cliff Bleszinski is making the news today after tweeting a direct message to Capcom about "fixing" Resident Evil 6. Capcom released its latest horror survival action game on various platforms earlier this month to mostly mixed reviews. Bleszinski left Epic Games earlier this month after working at the company for 20 years, claiming that he needed to take a break before tackling the "next stage" of his career.

20 comments | Read more

Capcom: DLC Found on Retail Resident Evil 6 Disc is Free

October 11, 2012 -

Looking to clarify some stories that have been written by the media about on-disc DLC found within Resident Evil 6's retail disc, Capcom has taken to the Capcom Unity blog to clear the air.

1 comment | Read more

Capcom Takes Heat for Resident Evil 6 On-Disc DLC

October 8, 2012 -

A YouTube user named Fluffyquack has released a series of Resident Evil 6 videos that show locked content hidden on-disc, unlocked by modding the game. In one video he demonstrates a new "No Hope" difficulty mode, as well as locked melee attacks, and taunts and costumes for Resident Evil 6's multiplayer.

Posted in
3 comments | Read more

 
Forgot your password?
Username :
Password :

Poll

Did Microsoft pay too much ($2.5 billion) for Minecraft developer Mojang?:

Shout box

You're not permitted to post shouts.
james_fudgeDon't hit me *cowers behind Andrew*09/20/2014 - 3:20pm
ConsterYou take that back right now, james, or else. *shakes fist menacingly*09/20/2014 - 3:00pm
james_fudgeOur community is awesome. We can have a debate without threatening to kill each other.09/20/2014 - 2:50pm
Andrew EisenNo one's crossed a line but I just want to remind you all to keep discussions civil.09/20/2014 - 1:54pm
Craig R.tldr: I'm a gamer, and imo those who support GamerGate should feel free to take a flying leap off a cliff.09/20/2014 - 1:27pm
Craig R.Not only that, I'm pretty sure that if actual studies were done, you'd still deny them, Sleaker. After all, it's not what you'd want to hear to support your rose-colored view of GamerGate.09/20/2014 - 1:18pm
Craig R.There IS an issue. Nor do we need a study to show that if you deny it then you're part of the problem.09/20/2014 - 1:17pm
Sleakersimply oust people that do harass others.09/20/2014 - 11:34am
Sleaker@Conster - I can say the same thing if you think there's been more than a handful. Until there's an actual study on rates no one can claim to know how widespread the incidence of harassment is. Thus the best we can do is 'there might be an issue' and...09/20/2014 - 11:33am
ConsterSleaker: if you think there's only been "a handful of" incidents, you have your head stuck *somewhere* - I'm assuming it's sand.09/20/2014 - 5:38am
prh99Most of it's agitprop clickbait anyway.09/20/2014 - 5:27am
prh99A good reason to stop reading reguardless of view pointhttp://www.theguardian.com/media/2013/apr/12/news-is-bad-rolf-dobelli.09/20/2014 - 5:22am
Andrew EisenWell this is unique! A musical critique of the Factual Feminist's "Are Video Games Sexist?" video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-K4s7cV4Us409/20/2014 - 2:41am
Andrew EisenSome locked threads. Some let them be. So, no, I'm not seeing a problem here. No corruption. No collusion. No ethical problem with privately discussing ethics.09/20/2014 - 12:48am
Andrew EisenAnd still, in the end, Tito made up his own mind on how to handle his site. All 150 or so members went off to handle their own sites in their own ways. Some talked about it. Some didn't. Some changed disclosure policies. Some didn't.09/20/2014 - 12:40am
Andrew EisenThere were two comments other than Kochera and Tito's. One pointed out the Escapist Code of Conduct, another comment was in support of Tito.09/20/2014 - 12:40am
Andrew EisenKochera privately expressed his disagreement on how Tito decided to do something. No, I don't consider that crossing a line nor do I consider the exchange an example of the group pressuring him.09/20/2014 - 12:36am
Kronotechnical reasons. Anyways, I need to get to sleep as well.09/20/2014 - 12:29am
KronoAnd he wasn't the only one pushing Tito to censor the thread. If Tito had bowed to peer pressure, we likely wouldn't have gotten this http://goo.gl/vKiYtR which grew out of that thread. Said thread also lasted until a new one needed to be made for09/20/2014 - 12:28am
Krono@Andrew So it's an example of Kuchera crossing the line from reporter to advocate. And an example of the group pressuring for censorship.09/20/2014 - 12:21am
 

Be Heard - Contact Your Politician