Responding to a complaint with the Better Business Bureau, Capcom says that there is no distinction between downloadable content and content hidden and locked on Street Fighter X Tekken retail game discs. The latest argument between Capcom and consumers began when it was revealed that over a dozen DLC characters were hidden on the game discs. Because consumers paid for the game at retail and the content was on the discs already, they feel like they are having to pay for something they already paid for.
Not so, says Capcom in its response to a BBB claim:
According to this C&VG report, Capcom is aware of hacks being used to play unreleased Street Fighter x Tekken DLC content on Xbox Live, and will do something about it.
The Angry Joe show is pretty angry and anyone with basic English skills should note the tone of his show with the use of an adverb as his first name. Still Joe has a lot to be angry about with Street Fighter X Tekken, because, as he notes in his latest video, it's not like Capcom hasn’t faced the outrage of fans over the practice he is ranting and raving about ("DLC" on the disc) in the past...
Speaking to Gamasutra at the Game Developers Conference in San Francisco today, Capcom senior vice president Christian Svensson made a bold prediction about his company's future revenues. He says that 50 percent of Capcom's revenue and operating profit will come from digital sales by 2017.
Troubled UK retailer GAME will not be stocking Street Fighter X Tekken and Asura's Wrath, according to an MCV report. Both were scheduled for release this Friday in the UK. The Capcom titles join other high profile titles that were recently passed over including Mass Effect 3, Mario Party 9, The Last Story and FIFA Street.
Update: Capcom issued the following statement to MCV concerning the locked DLC content found on the retail disc for Street Fighter X Tekken (thanks Andrew Eisen):
A report on Digital Trends confirms that Capcom supports the efforts of the ESA as it relates to the Stop Online Piracy Act, though the confirmation is merely one sentence from a Capcom representative.
When asked about the company's support, Capcom's representative responded in an email saying "The ESA represents us on these matters."
A Siliconera report suggests that the next Dead Rising game is already in the works and will have a serious social issue in the context of its story. Capcom is not commenting on the details of the report, save to say that they have not announced anything about the next Dead Rising game. If the report is true, the next paragraph may contain spoilers that will make you sad in your soul. If you think spoilers are bad, then you might want to stop reading right now.
Video game publication Kill Screen and game publisher Capcom have teamed up for some Halloween hijinks called "Fright Club." The event is a celebration of Capcom's popular zombie games, but offers a strong line-up of indie music groups for attendees to enjoy.
In the latest video from our own Andrew Eisen he talks in-depth about the Mega Man conspiracy theory making the rounds. Some believe that Capcom cancelled Mega Man Legends 3 for the 3DS and Mega Man Universe, and omitted the Blue Bomber from the Marvel vs. Capcom 3 roster because Mega Man co-creator Keiji Inafune left the company late last year. You may recall that Inafune made several derogatory statements about the Japanese video game industry prior to his departure, which reflected poorly on him and his employer too.
Earlier this week Capcom responded to complaints about the "one save" scheme it implemented into its 3DS game, Resident Evil: The Mercenaries 3D, saying that it was not a way for the company to combat used game sales. On its official Unity blog the company said that it was in no way meant to lessen the game's overall experience and that it was designed to be like an Arcade fighting game. From the page - here's the official statement from Capcom:
Capcom has felt the wrath of consumers on amazon.com ticked off by its "one save" scheme in its new 3DS game Resident Evil: The Mercenaries 3D. According to a Destructoid report, fans have "Amazon Bombed" the product page of the game on Amazon, giving the game negative reviews and leaving less than flattering comments about the game.
What set consumers off is a "one save" scheme in the game that basically only lets the original owner unlock the extras within the game. Once they are unlocked they are unlocked for good, even if the game is resold or given to someone's friend. Fans are very upset with this new way in which Capcom is trying to fight against second sales of their games.
And the user reviews are not pretty:
Capcom Corporate Officer and Senior Vice-President Christian Svensson announced that Capcom will change the type of DRM it plans to use for the PC release of Super Street Fighter IV: Arcade Edition. The changes are in response to a blizzard of news stories and a strong public outcry lamenting the game's DRM.
Svensson says that Capcom has listened to the community, and as a result, it will make some changes:
Capcom says that the extended downtime of the PlayStation Network is costing the makers of Street Fighter and Mega Man hundreds of thousands of dollars. Answering a question on the company's official Unity Blog, Capcom senior vice president Christian Svensson said that the downtime is costing "hundreds of thousands, if not millions of dollars in revenue".
"I'm frustrated and upset by it for a number of reasons," he wrote on the blog. "As a consumer, I also play games online on PS3, which I can't do... and likely my personal information is also compromised. Secondly I like to buy things in the PlayStation Store and that I can't do right now.
Capcom Mobile announced today that Smurfs' Village and Zombie Cafe have reached a combined total of 10 million downloads on iTunes. This milestone was achieved over four months with the release of Smurfs' Village in November last year, followed by Zombie Cafe in January. Both games have a combined total of 6.5 million monthly active users as well. Smurfs' Village and Zombie Cafe are free-to-play applications that offers social hooks and casual gameplay for players to enjoy. Additional premium content is unlockable through in-app virtual currencies.
Capcom did not disclose how much money has been made off of micro-transactions within the game. Smurfs' Village is of particular interest because it helped spark a Federal Trade Commission investigation into digital purchases after parents complained about their children buying thousands of dollars' worth of smurfberries in Smurf Village.
If you were looking forward to buying Bionic Commando Rearmed 2 but loathe pesky DRM solutions, then you may want to skip Capcom's sequel. According to NeoGaf, Capcom's game on the PlayStation Store requires users to be logged into the PlayStation Network while playing.
While Capcom may not have proclaimed this fact in any press releases for the game, the company has put it in plain view in the product description:
"NOTE: You must log-in to the PlayStation Network each time to play the game."
So there you go. If you think DRM of this nature is stupid or a pain in the ass, you should skip this game. Oddly enough, the game only offers offline coop play but requires you to stay connected to the PlayStation Network. That in and of itself boggles the mind.
Capcom attempted to quell the leak of two secret characters from Super Street Fighter IV Arcade Edition this week by issuing copyright notices against YouTube videos. The videos featured Evil Ryu and Oni Akumfa, two charcters that were to be announced by Capcom later. Now the company has confirmed the characters but users who had videos on YouTube can't turn back the clock and some of them have lost whole channels thanks to YouTube's "three strikes" rule. A user with multiple copyright notices can have their entire account suspended and have videos deleted.
One prominent user, Street Fighter tournament player J.R. Rodriguez, lost his channel and more than 50 videos were deleted, according to published reports.
The two characters can apparently be unlocked via a built-in password system, but the passwords themselves were leaked or discovered. Some say that producer Yoshinori Ono has taken some heat for it.
Capcom says that it is "saddened" by the controversy surrounding its mobile division's game, "MaXplosion" for iOS platforms. The company has every reason to be, I guess. Many in the community have called it a blatant rip-off of Twisted Pixel's popular Xbox Live Arcade game 'Splosion Man. But what's worse is that Twisted Pixel has had a few things to say about Capcom's game in a very public way.
While the company has said that it won't sue Capcom for its game (Twisted Pixel CEO Mike Wilford says the company is too small to take Capcom on in court), many members of the company have had harsh things to say in the media and on Twitter. One Twisted Pixel developer went so far as to call it "complete theft." Wilford also said that his company pitched 'Splosion Man to Capcom, who passed on the game. That fact adds insult to the perceived injury.
Twisted Pixel is probably the coolest collection of cats on the planet. Not only do they have a decent sense of humor and an affinity for developing clever games, but they are also humble realists. When asked about a recent Capcom mobile game (MaXplosion for iOS) that some say blatantly rips off Twisted Pixel's popular 'Splosion Man, the company’s CEO gave an honest answer:
"We're definitely not going to pursue legal action," Wilford told Joystiq. "While I think the similarities are pretty nauseating, we're too small to take on a company like Capcom. That, and we owe them one for inventing Mega Man, so we'll let them slide."
Keiji Inafune, the character designer of the popular Mega Man series, has left Capcom. In a blog post on his personal site - translated by Kotaku - Inafune said "sayonara" to fans, revealing that he was "leaving Capcom with the intention of starting my life over."
"A manager's work means evaluating your subordinates and speaking your dreams. Anyone who can do both of those can be a manager. I thought that when I came here, and I still think that now," Inafune said on his blog.
"People that really know me, can see where I'm coming from. I'm not a regular dude. It's probably because I'm strange," he continued.
A new Gamasutra article called "Games With The Power To Offend: Surviving And Stoking Controversy" reveals that Capcom has learned a hard lesson from the public relations nightmare related to claims of racism in Resident Evil 5. That controversy reared its ugly head shortly after Capcom released the first trailer for the game, which depicted black zombies versus a white American protagonist. After that blew up in their face, the company decided that it could never let something like that happen ever again.
After that nightmare Capcom decided that it had to put a process in place to deal with future international cultural issues - to be implemented on both sides of the world. Here's more on that from the article:
Capcom has not received a classification for Dead Rising 2 from the German government, and it doubts it will ever receive one because the first game was banned in the region. So with that in mind it has decided to opt out of a public showing at this year's Gamescom event in Cologne, Germany. This makes a lot of sense because the company is only showing two games at this time and one of them is Dead Rising 2.
Still Capcom will be at the show behind closed doors showing off its games to the press. Here's what Capcom had to say about it:
While Ubisoft has been the poster-boy for DRM as of late, Capcom apparently introduced a variation of the technology in its release of Final Fight: Double Impact through the PlayStation Network.
Kotaku reports that the game requires a constant connection to PSN in order to play, and, if the console’s Internet connection is lost, the game exits entirely. An affected gamer on the IGN boards wrote to Capcom about the issue and received this response, purportedly from a Capcom representative:
Yes, there is DRM. This was employed to combat the rampant "PSN Sharing" that has been going on over the last year. We're sorry that your family cannot play the game on their individual accounts (same console). This is a limitation of the Sony network. We are not committed to do this with all titles moving forward but the only way to evaluate impact was to try it with one title first.
While UK bookmakers are infamous for taking bets on just about anything, a counterpart of theirs in Ireland is going a step further and accepting wagers on a videogame match.
Dublin-based Paddy Power is taking wagers on who will win a Super Street Fighter IV match between Ryan Hart and Femi Adeboye, billed as two of the UK’s “most respected players.” The match is scheduled for April 29 and will take place at Capcom’s European headquarters. Paddy Power will offer a live stream of the event.
Paddy Power’s own Paddy Power stated, “We wanted to offer sports fans and games players the ultimate thrill by offering the chance to win big on the outcome of a Super Street Fighter IV competition. If it proves popular, we'll open further books on other videogame competitions."
Capcom has responded to criticism of its Resident Evil: The Darkside Chronicles by religious leaders with a double-barrel return blast of its own.
Bishop Bryant of Jarrow, Archdeacon Brian Smith and Rt Rev John Goddard accused the game of promoting the occult and violence reports MCVUK. Goddard said about the game, “If we dabble in this area we open ourselves to influences and put ourselves at risk. I would regard any encouragement for children to be drawn into this behaviour with extreme horror.”
Capcom’s Leo Tan fired back, saying, “Most games (and movies) like Resident Evil show characters fighting evil not supporting it. Unfortunately the clergy is showing a lack of understanding of the video games industry and is too quick to splash the holy water and lump video games players into stereotypical boxes.”
This is scaremongering and typical religious hysteria. You cannot blame society’s ills on video games. It’s just absurd.
The title, developed for the Wii, is due out in Europe on November 27. It was released in the U.S. last week.
Yesterday's edition of the Houston Chronicle's Game Hack blog ponders whether racism is becoming a norm in video game design.
Blogger Willie Jefferson expresses concern over 2009 releases Resident Evil 5 and Call of Juarez: Bound in Blood (pic at left) as well as the in-development Left 4 Dead 2. RE5, of course, has already been the subject of much debate over its depiction of African villagers as zombies. Jefferson writes:
I am disturbed by the growing trend of racist undertones that are cropping up in video games.
One of the games that comes to mind is "Left 4 Dead 2." ...Set in New Orleans, players will have to fight their way through hordes of zombies - with several of them who appear to be African-Americans. When I saw the first trailer for the game, all I could think about was Hurricane Katrina and the aftermath...
The game that really inspired this blog entry was Ubisoft's "Call of Juarez: Bound in Blood." The game starts out with players assuming the role of Ray, a Confederate officer... the Confederacy, as far as I am concerned, wanted to keep their cheap slave labor and the like. I can not stand the Confederate flag... To me, the flag represents hate -- and offends me and many others to no end. [It] made me wonder how much research Ubisoft did for this game...
As a minority, had the South won, I wouldn't be in this position I am today...
Just when you thought the swine flu panic was winding down, Develop reports that the virus may impact Capcom's scheduled E3 appearance.
Japan, which has seen a recent jump in swine flu cases, has been closing schools in Hyogo and Osaka prefectures at the request of the government. The outbreak could keep Japanese employees of the Resident Evil publisher away from E3:
Capcom has told Develop that its Japanese arm remains undecided on whether it will be attending the upcoming E3 event in Los Angeles. The publisher has stated however that it will still have a presence at the event with US and UK teams attending...
A spokesperson for Capcom... stated that Japan’s tough travel regulations has impacted on Capcom Japan’s options for E3...
Capcom did however clarify that it will still have a big presence at E3... “The show is in Los Angeles and we have offices in America, so E3 is still on” the spokesperson added.
As GamePolitics has reported, the U.S. Army has taken a fair amount of heat in recent times over its use of video games and game-related events for recruitment.
Over at ripten, Chad Lakkis notes with a disapproving eye the Army's presence at a Best Buy midnight launch event for the recently-released Resident Evil 5:
I couldn’t help but notice the “GO ARMY” recruitment tent mixed into the Best Buy Resident Evil 5 launch party video... I don’t mind the idea of recruiters but what I do mind is the methods by which they often recruit.
This isn’t the first time the U.S. Army has been accused of blurring the lines between gaming and recruiting. Promoting an official U.S. Army videogame and lacing their official army game website to contain soldier bios designed to look like videogame stat cards is youth marketing at its finest. Look at all the stats you can wrack up kids - assuming you don’t die first.