Recently, programmer Roystan Ross created the first level of Super Mario 64 in HD using Unity and posted it on the web for all the world to play.
Nintendo said "oh no you didn't!" and DMCA'd the crap out of him. Literally. Mr. Ross's innards are now entirely bereft of crap.
The very last Club Nintendo Elite rewards are now available, GameSpot reports. Nintendo announced earlier in the year that it would shut down the rewards program, but gave members up until yesterday to continue earning "coins" to be spent on games and other special virtual items. Now members have until June 30 to spend their coins on any of the available rewards (listed below).
Japanese mobile gaming powerhouse DeNA said that it wants to make 3 million yen (roughly $25.02 million) a month off of games built through its partnership with Nintendo. Nintendo and DeNA announced the partnership on March 17 and revealed that the first game through this partnership would be released on mobile platforms by the end of this year. Speaking to Reuters, DeNA Chief Executive Isao Moriyasu said that his company wants to make games that hundreds of millions of people will play.
Nintendo has fired off a DMCA takedown notice at Super Mario 64 HD, a remaster of Nintendo's 3D platformer for the Nintendo 64 built using Unity - according to Eurogamer. Specifically, the rework is the first level from the popular Mario game - Bob-Omb Battlefield.
Nintendo president Satoru Iwata insisted in a Q&A session (translated to English) following the major announcement last week about entering the mobile space that his company was not pressured into bringing its IP to an outside platform. But last year a large block of investors pushed hard for Nintendo to brings its IP to the lucrative mobile space - a suggestion the company strongly resisted at the time.
Nintendo announced today at a press conference in Japan that it has partnered with Japanese mobile game company DeNA to develop and deploy games for smart phones and tablets that utilize Nintendo's vast library of intellectual properties. Nintendo has been, up until now, resistant to put its IP on platforms it doesn't own, but it's likely that big shareholders have finally forced the company to see the light.
The party is officially over for those who were using an exploit in the 3DS web browser to load unsigned code. Nintendo released a new firmware update today that eliminates a web browser exploit that allowed users to inject code within downloaded games. The exploit was being used by some to load and run pirated Game Boy Color ROMs, made it so that games could be played regardless of region-locking, and even allowed some to bypass actually paying for micro-transactions in Nintendo's first free-to-play puzzle game for 3DS, Pokémon Shuffle.
Towards the end of last weekend's podcast, one of our listeners asked me an interesting question:
Would I rather see Nintendo buy Capcom or Sega?
As a fan of all three companies, that's a tough question for me so I said I'd give it some thought. Interested in what others think, I posed the question on my Twitter, Facebook and in our very own Shout box. You all seem to be having a good time with the question so I thought I'd make it this week's poll.
It looks like Nintendo's line of interactive toys will do more than just unlock characters and other digital baubles in supported games - they will actually unlock game demos too, according to an announcement made by Nintendo president and CEO Satoru Iwata today.
Another day, another clarification from Nintendo on its Creator's Program. Today the company said that those interested in submitting an entire channel to its YouTube ad revenue sharing program have to make sure that all of the videos in that channel are Nintendo-game related. On top of that revelation, Nintendo said that some of its own games can't be included in channels who want to take advantage of the 70 percent revenue split (Nintendo takes 30 percent of YouTube ad revenue on channels or 40 percent on individual videos).
Nintendo's Creator's Program is already off to an abysmal start, according to this GamesBeat report. The program, which aims to share revenue with YouTube content creators (a 30-40 percent skim for Nintendo), requires participants to submit their videos to Nintendo before they can be posted on YouTube. When Nintendo announced the program it said that it would take 1 - 3 business days.
The Club Nintendo consumer loyalty program is going out with a bang as Nintendo revealed a gigantic list of rewards this morning that gamers can get before it shuts down for good in March.
Users can spend their hard earned coins on digital goodies and lots and lots of games.
From greetings cards, cases, posters, and bags to Wii, Wii U, and 3DS titles.
The full list of games and goodies you can spend your coins on can be found below:
YouTube personalities continue to rail against Nintendo's YouTube revenue sharing plan that it revealed more details on yesterday. That plan would allow YouTube video content creators to share the ad revenue generated from videos containing Nintendo-owned intellectual property, with the company taking a 30 - 40 percent cut.
Kotaku has an excellent report on the reaction from content creators to Nintendo's new revenue sharing program ("Nintendo Creator's Program") for YouTube videos that use its various intellectual properties in Let's Play videos and other video content. The company announced today that it would officially launch the revenue sharing program in May and that it would want 40 percent of ad revenue from a video containing its IP.
Nintendo this morning revealed the launch date for a new program to share YouTube ad revenue with content creators called the Nintendo Creators Program. The new revenue-sharing scheme officially launches on May 27 but a beta of the program is available now.
Those interested can sign up to get 60 percent of the advertising revenue from a video containing "Nintendo intellectual property" such as a Let's Play of a Wii U game. "Partners" can also designate entire channels to Nintendo content - which will net them 70 percent of the ad revenue.
Andrew Eisen's latest video illustrates two things: people do not pay attention to the fine print (if they even bother to get to the end of a story where that fine print might be found) and Andrew is in dire need of hair care products - most notably a comb.
In his video Andrew talks about Nintendo's sales number for Mario Kart 8 and how some people accused Nintendo of lying about them in its fiscal year reporting.
You can check out Andrew's latest video to your left. In case you didn't make it to the end of this story, the title is the joke...
On Tuesday morning, Nintendo announced that Club Nintendo is coming to an end and will eventually be replaced by a brand, spanking new customer loyalty program.
Club Nintendo is a service that allows Nintendo players to register their games and complete surveys in exchange for coins that can be redeemed for a variety of digital and physical goods such as downloads of classic games or Nintendo character-themed greeting cards.
Capcom has released a remastered version of the 2002 GameCube Resident Evil remake, but one small change redacts a GameCube specific gag that some fans might notice.
Resident Evil HD offers the same core gameplay and story from the original 1996 PlayStation Resident Evil and the new features added into the GameCube version like new enemies. But one thing the game does not contain is a specific reference to the Nintendo platform.
After a decent six year run, Nintendo announced this morning that its Club Nintendo player loyalty program is coming to an end. For those who love this program, there is at least a silver lining: Nintendo says that it is already working on a new loyalty program to replace it. Players have until the end of March to earn coins, but they will have to spend them before the end of June, the company said in its announcement today.
Life may no longer be worth living in Brazil.
As we reported earlier this week, due to ridiculously high tariffs, Nintendo has stopped selling its goods in Brazil.
Nintendo says that it will no longer sell games and game systems in Brazil because the tariffs on this sector are just too high. While Nintendo says the departure from the market is temporary, the company did not indicate if and when it would return. In an interview with UOL Games, Bill Van Zyll, Nintendo of America's director and general manager for Latin America, said the following:
Nintendo is teaming up with free-to-play and mobile powerhouse GungHo Online to create a specially branded version of the ultra popular mobile title Puzzle & Dragons. The game, Puzzle & Dragons: Super Mario Bros. Edition for Nintendo 3DS will retain the formula of GungHo's popular game but will also feature several iconic Mario characters including Mario, Luigi, Peach, Toad, and Bowser. The game is scheduled for release in Japan on April 29. Nintendo did not say whether the game will be released outside of Japan or not.
Nintendo announced that it has won an appeal at the International Trade Commission related to patent infringement claims made by Creative Kingdoms. The company alleged that Nintendo's Wii and Wii U systems violated several of its patents. an earlier ruling by the ITC side with Nintendo, but the company appealed that decision. This week the ITC reaffirmed its earlier decision, noting that Creative Kingdoms’ patents are invalid and should not have been issued because Creative Kingdoms tried to claim more than the company invented.
Nintendo has won another patent case in a federal court in Seattle, the company announced this week. District Court Judge Robert S. Lasnik found that Nintendo’s Wii system does not infringe on two patents held by UltimatePointer, LLC. Judge Lasnik also found a number of UltimatePointer’s claims invalid, and decided that a trial was not warranted. Judge Lasnik’s decision is in line with a similar decision earlier in the case by Chief Judge Leonard Davis of the Eastern District of Texas, which occurred before the case was transferred to Seattle.
Nintendo announced that the releases of Pokémon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire, Super Smash Bros. for Wii U, and Amiibo on November 21 are already smashing successes. In fact the company has put these products as some of the best-selling properties in 2014.
Together Pokémon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire sold nearly 1.5 million copies during their first ten days of availability in the US at retail and through digital channels. Pokémon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire have performed even better in Japan, with 1.5 million copies sold in just three days.
If you scored most of the first batch of Amiibo figures, consider yourself lucky because Nintendo won't be releasing a second batch of some of the already released figures. In a statement issued to the press, the company confirmed that certain figures in its interactive action figure range had not been restocked after selling out at various retailers.